The Mount property has a rich tradition in supporting the community that dates back more than 100 years. The Sisters of St. Joseph not only lived and prayed here, they ran a hospital, educated children and supported countless community initiatives with their wisdom, time and resources. The Mount Community Centre aims to carry on their social justice work by sharing this land with tenants, gardeners, arts groups, meeting organizers and non-profit organizations that need meeting and office space.

The Mount Community Centre bought this property in July 2013, thanks to work of the following organizations on the vision of what this space could be:


 

 • Peterborough Poverty Reduction Network     

• United Way of Peterborough and District  

• Habitat for Humanity           

• Peterborough Housing Corporation

• Peterborough City-County Health Unit              

• Kawartha Participation Projects

 

 

The buildings on the property:

• The Sisters of St. Joseph formed in 1890 and bought this land in 1893, moving into its original farmhouse on Jan. 1, 1895.

• Over the years, the following buildings were added:

• an addition to the south of the original house with a large chapel and 24 additional rooms for Sisters and third floor to the original home in 1904;

• the North Wing included chaplain's quarters, a reception room and additional Sisters' rooms in 1911;

• a magnificent new Gothic-styled chapel, a separate laundry building and a central heating plant in 1934. 

• an addition to the south of the chapel, expanded room for the Congregation’s administration and an infirmary, a new kitchen, additional Sisters' rooms and an elevator in 1953.

• a new wing with an expanded infirmary and administration offices, a new dining room and expanded kitchen, a music room, academic area and more Sisters' rooms in 1969

New uses for the property:

Once covering 45 acres, parts of the Mount have found the following uses over the years:

• a narrow strip of land on the western edge of the property was sold to the City of Peterborough for the proposed Parkway in 1967.

• a small piece of land along Woodland Avenue was sold in 1988 to the Sisters of the Passion, a Polish community who came to work for the bishop.

• three acres were made available for the construction of a seniors’ residence (Marycrest at Inglewood) in 1990.

• more than 18 acres were sold to the Catholic School Board for the new St. Peter's Secondary School in 1991. 

• six acres in the northwest corner were severed to be retained to build a new Motherhouse in 2007 for the shrinking and aging congregation. The Sisters moved into their new home on March 23, 2009.

• The Mount Community Centre buys the remaining 10 acres on August 2, 2013.

PARTNERS: